A walkabout is a rite of passage- a person will go out into the wilderness to discover his or her identity and purpose, and then return home.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Grand Plan

So now that we've introduced ourselves, I may as well tell you why I even have this blog in the first place.


As was probably apparent from the first post, I will be taking a gap year beginning this coming September.  For those unfamiliar with what a gap year is, let me (errr, Wikipedia) quick define it for you:
gap year is an expression associated with taking time out to travel between life stages. It is also known as a sabbaticaltime offtime out and a year out, referring to a period of time (not necessarily 12 months) in which people disengage from curricular education and/or work and undertake activities such as travelling, volunteering or working abroad. Traditional gap years are among individuals who have ceased secondary education and intend to commence tertiary education.
(Source

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I'll be doing.  

Without further ado, let me present the skeleton version of my gap year plans.  (Skeleton version because I honestly have no idea what will happen when I'm actually embroiled in these activities.  What is below is the best prediction I can come up with- essentially just places and a rough timeline.) 

September 2012
Leave around the 15th for my first destination- Costa Rica!  Begin volunteering.
October 2012
Costa Rica, volunteering.
November 2012
Costa Rica, volunteering.
December 2012
Volunteering until the middle of the month, and then a beach vacay with the family (who's coming down to visit!). 
January 2013
Back home to see people/relax/prepare for Europe. And set up a job for the summer.  Unfortunately I'll be returning from six months of glorious summer in the dead of winter... blech.
February 2013
Off to Europe!  I'll be intermixing backpacking/sightseeing with working on organic farms (WOOF).  Right now I'm thinking I'll be traveling primarily through France, Spain, Italy, and the UK.
March 2013
Europe....
April 2013
Europe....
May 2013
Europe....
June 2013
HOME.  Probably work a summer job until I leave for college (more on this later).


And that's the gist.


xoxo, Cleome

No comments:

Post a Comment